Benard Cadoret of France and Lance Lee of the USA co-founded AC in 1984 as a way to bring young adults of different nations together for a friendly Contest of Seamanship and to revive traditional small craft activity on both sides of the Atlantic.
The first Contest was held in New York City in 1986 between France and the US. The biennial Contest has since grown to include more than 14 nations with more than 80 gigs built in the last 30 years. The next Contest will be held in Northern Ireland in July 2018.
Atlantic Challenge encourages:
- Personal Development Through Challenge
- Perseverance and Self-Reliance
- Initiative and Creativity
- Community Building and Social Responsibility
- The Spirit of Adventure
- Fitness of Mind and Body
- Vocational, Cultural and Social Life Skills
- International Understanding and Awareness
- Interest in Local and Global Maritime Heritage